Wednesday 7 February 2007

Albums I wasted my money on Pt. 1

I am an album guy. I don't do singles. A rare breed. Proud of it too. That's the reason why I still waste my money buying cds, rather than downloading it off the net. These are some notable ones, for various reasons.

Radiohead - The Bends

I was on a 'Lawatan sambil belajar' trip and had a stop over at Subang Parade back in 95. As always, stopped by the record shop and saw this weird, yet compelling album cover. That was good enough reason for me to buy it.



King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Allmusic.com 'ed about prog rock when I was into Pink Floyd. Bumped into a review with a 5 star on this album. For the next 1 year after that, I ended up buying Discipline, Red, Beat, THRAK and The Power to Believe.



Gomez - Liquid Skin

Farouq, my music 'guru' recommended this. The only track I continuously listen to after I got it was the beautifuly written 'We Haven't Turned Around'. This album deserve a special mention for being the 'lambatest' album for me to 'get' into. I only really listened to it about a year after buying it. As soon as I 'got' it, it was untouchable from my playlist for a year afterwards.

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

This is special. My first CD. RM50 from Yik Foong!
I can 't recall how I 'discovered' RATM. Its either through Guitar World tabbing Morello's DJ scratching solo on Bulls on Parade or me waking up to Zack de la Rocha's fanatical ravings on what I think was Amir Shazlan's radio when I was hanging out at Overfloor in 95. Contrary to most people, I still believe that its their best, darkest, and tightest record.

4 comments:

kacheek said...

dude, u're one music freak! LOL.

Unknown said...

Aaaah...but therein lies the contradiction...if you really liked these albums...then can you really say that you've wasted your money?

Heh.

I've not listened to Liquid Skin for ages! And to think, that album and Bring It On were my staples for almost the whole of final year! Hmm...I think I'll dust 'em off and have a listen tomorrow on the way to work....

How's the new gomez btw?

niji said...

i agree with sha..
dude, how can u WASTE money on these albums??
more like albums i don't regret spending on.. (^^,)

Simply a Book Review Blog said...

I don't think its a waste too.
Others might think so tho.
"Baik download je", those kinda comments.

New Gomez? Just got it. Less punchy..more bluesy and gitar-y compared to split the difference.
I just listened to it for 2 days tho.