Sunday 29 July 2007

DSG

I've experienced the future.
Its in the form of DSG, Direct Shift Gearbox. A genius innovation on the vehicle transmission or gearbox.

I'm still reeling with excitement after test driving the Golf GTI Mk 5. Incredible, incredible experience. All cars in the next 5 years must be fitted with DSG. The shift is instantaneous, almost game like feel. Reminds me of pushing the R1 button to upshift and the L1 button to downshift on my PS2 controller, when playing Grand Turismo 3. The paddle shift on the steering wheel will need time to get use to, since if follows steering movement. I think I 'arcaded' the DSG more than I should, what with the burning clutch smell, after stepping out of the GTI at the end of the test drive.

Next to the 156 GTA (the aural experience), the GTI test drive was one of the most memorable test drives I've been on.

Any car with a DSG, deserves to be in my dream garage one day, next to the 156,E39,145 and E30.

No comments: